Sunday, May 24, 2009

He's Here!


Cole Keith Arthur made his way into the world on May 19th, 2009 at 3:46 am. He weighed in at 6 lbs. 11 oz. and measured 19 inches long.









The details:

Cole was 5 days late so I was wonderng if he would ever come. Last Monday right after I finished typing my last post about graduation, I decided to go outside and get the mail. It was about 5:00 pm. As I was walking my water broke. At least that's what I thought. So I called the doctor and he asked if I was sure my water had broken. I said I wasn't sure but I didn't know what else it could be. He said he was going to be in the office until 6:00 pm so I could come over and he would see what was going on. The doctor took a sample of the fluid and told me it tested negative for amniotic fluid. That didn't make any sense to me, but since I wasn't having contractions he sent us home. He said if I kept leaking fluid over night I should come to hospital first thing in the morning and he would start me. Or if I started having contractions I should call him. And if neither happened, I had a doctors appointment the next afternoon and we would talk about inducing labor. So we went home, very dissapointed.


Dave's parents took us out to dinner at Bertucci's (one of my favorite places). Our branch president had told us last week that if you eat pizza labor will start. So I decided I'd better order pizza. Then we rented a movie and went home. During the movie I started leaking a lot of fluid and then one time when I stood up, a huge gush of fluid came out. There was no mistaking that my water had definitely broken now. I called the doctor and he asked if I was having any contractions. I told him no (although looking back I probably was and just didn't recognize them as contractions). He told me to just come in in the morning like we had talked about. Again, that didn't make any sense to me. Here I am with fluid gushing out of me and I'm supposed to wait another 8 hours? I was kind of upset so Dave told me to lie down. As soon as I did, I started to notice I was having pain, so I started timing. Sure enough, I was having regular contractions 4 minutes apart. After about 20 minutes they started coming every 3 minutes. After an hour I made Dave call the doctor. This time the doctor asked how painful the contractions were (did they take my breath away) and how long did they last (they should be about 60 seconds each). Well, they hurt, a lot. But did they take my breath away? No. And none of them lasted 60 seconds, more like 30 seconds. The doctor said that since we live close to the hospital that I should try and stay home as long as possible. So I suffered through another hour of contractions coming every 2-3 minutes. Finally Dave convinced me that we should go to the hospital. By time we got there, around 1:30 am, I was in so much pain I could barely talk.


My labor and delivery nurse, Nicole, was awesome. Even though I was miserable, she talked me through everything, did everything for me, constantly encouraged me, and sped through the paperwork and started my IV asap so I could get my epidural right away. She told me that even if I was dilated to a 10 she would make sure I got my epidural if that's what I wanted. The first time they checked me I was dilated to a 6 or 7. Every time I would have a contraction, I would start singing "Roxanne" in my head. I guess it must have been on the radio in the car ride to the hospital. I kept thinking, why in the world is this song in my head?
Finally the anesthesiologist got there and gave me the epidural. As soon as I laid down I felt a lot of pressure and I told the nurse. She checked me and said she thought I was fully dialted but wanted the doctor to double check. Sure enough, I was dilated to a 10! They told me it was time to have this baby and a bunch of nurses came in and started getting things ready. Within minutes I was pushing. The doctor was using forceps and was pulling the baby out as I was pushing. I'm not exactly sure why, because he never told us, but for some reason he wanted to get the baby out quick. So literally after only a few minutes of pushing, our little Cole was born. He's such a miracle and I can't imagine life without him.

Getting ready to go home



14 comments:

em said...

I LOVE that last picture! It kills me. He's so cute and little! Exciting story; sorry your doctor was a little less than smart about getting you to the hospital, but quick is the way to do it! Congrats, you guys! He's adorable.

tami said...

aah! what fun! Great story, and what a great looking Dr - love the 'stache! Was he just the Dr. on-call or was that your Dr. all along? You're so tough, way to get it over with so quickly! Can't wait to see you again and meet little Cole! hugs~tami

Ginnie said...

Congrats guys, he's perfect!

Chell said...

He's just precious... So glad I got to meet him before you guys moved back to Utah!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sometimes I wonder about the Dr's...making you wait and all, but it looks like it worked out perfectly and very smooth. Your little guy is so cute! Congratulations again!

Em said...

A - he is a miracle and perfect and I'm glad we got to meet him before you leave, and
B - that is a really weird song to have stuck in your head while having a baby.

Ashley said...

Emily,

Congratulations!! He's so cute!! I've heard you're moving to Utah? I hope it's true. I can't wait to meet this little guy!!

Lisa T. said...

I love him! What an perfect and adorable little boy! I love that you shared your whole story with details. (I didn't get quite as many details from Dave.) I like to get the full story. And you'll be glad you wrote all that down before you forgot it. Especially that Roxanne part. That's so funny. You'll never think of that song the same way again.

Cole, I can't wait to meet you!!!

David and Amy said...

Congratulations, he is just perfect!

The Perry family said...

Oh, how we miss you guys so much and your little Cole. I bet he has changed so much already. He is a perfect little guy and such a cute miracle. I hope everything went well loading up, flying and I hope driving is going well for Dave and his mom. Tell your parents Hi and Thanks again. Can't wait for more posts. Give baby Cole a little squeeze and kiss from me. Love you guys!

Ry and Heather said...

I'm excited to see you guys! I was shopping today and got Cole the cutest little onesies and I had to stop myself from binge shopping! We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to see ya!

Krystal said...

Sorry I haven't posted something soon. I really want you both to know how happy I am for you. What a blessing he is, and a perfect one at that! I think he is so cute. What a handsome little guy. Babies are just so fun,and your right from the min. you hear them cry they have your whole heart and life some how seemed empty before they were there. It is so amazing how they bring so much love and peace in a world of so much craziness. Enjoy him, he is truly a miracle. Chelsea and I were talking about how cute he is, and she was saying that he is so tiny. I really wish I could see him, and hold him. So because I can't you'll have to post as often as you can. Congrats again!

Brock and Tyra said...

YEA!!!!!
What a great story, too! I'm so glad you gave the details!

I'm SOSOSOSO happy for you!

Congratulations!!!!!

Ashley H. said...

I'm so excited for you guys! What a precious little guy! I am so bummed we couldn't see him before we left PA.