Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Trip



This Thanksgiving we took a trip to visit friends and see the sites in Boston. We kicked off the festivities with a delicious Thanksgiving dinner in New Haven, CT with Amy and Dave and Ben and Jenn. Amy and Jenn were two of my roommates at BYU and they are still just as fun and crazy as they were back then!
Friday morning we headed north to Boston. It was raining the whole drive up so we were worried we wouldn't be able to see anything, but by time we got there the skies cleared and we were able to visit Lexington and Concord.

Minuteman Statue

Hartwell Tavern The Old North Bridge, where the "shot heard 'round the world" was fired

Concord is not only famous for it's role in the Revolutionary War, but also because of it's rich literary history. It was home to several important authors including Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, and the Alcotts, who are all buried on Authors' Ridge in Concord's Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.
Just before it got dark we made it to Walden Pond, where Henry David Thoreau lived from 1845-1847 and inspired his book Walden.

Friday night we had another delicious dinner at Ben and Jenn's house, celebrated their son's birthday, rang in the Christmas season with singing carols around the piano (except that Dave and I didn't sing), and playing games.

Saturday morning we walked Boston's Freedom Trail. We saw Boston Common, The State House, Park Street Church, Granary Cemetery, King's Chapel, America's first public school, the Old Corner Bookstore, The Old State House, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere's House, and the Old North Church.
The State HouseGranary Burying Ground (John Hancock, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, the Boston Massacre victims, and Benjamin Franklin’s parents are buried here)
Christmas Carolers
Lunch at Cheers. This was a must on my list, and the food was really good! We had "Bahston Clam Chowda" and a big juicy cheeseburger with fries.
Statue of Paul Revere with the Old North Church in the background
Inside the Old North Church, where on the evening of April 18, 1775, the Old North sexton climbed the steeple and held high two lanterns as a signal from Paul Revere that the British were marching to Lexington and Concord to arrest Samuel Adams and John Hancock and to seize the Colonial store of ammunition. This fateful event ignited the American RevolutionChristmas tree at Faneuil Hall Marketplace
This picture of Ben Franklin and I cost us $2! The guy told us as we were taking the picture that there was a charge. He said he was collecting money "for the school kids". Sounds fishy to me!
After a fun day in Boston, we headed back down to Connecticut to see my old high school friend Ashlee and her husband Jason. We went out to dinner and caught up. It was so fun to hang out with her again! We went to church with them the next morning and then headed home.
Other than the insane traffic, we had a great trip! It's good to have friends from home on the East Coast!

11 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Like i say. Jealous I totally love reading your blogs. That is so neat you got to see so many historic stites. I bet your friends are so glad you got to have you as their guid.

Jenn said...

I loooove Boston....this post made me want to hop on a plane! Did you get to hear the tuba players? I think they usually do their Christmas thing on the street (can't remember exactly where) around Thanksgiving. My dad went back a couple of years ago to play with them and I wished we could have gone along. But alas, it's been 5 years since I've had my Boston fix and I think I need another one! And how cute is Ashlee?!? I miss that girl! How nice to have so many connections to home when you're so far away!

E n D said...

Yep, we heard the tuba players. I didnt know it was an annual event though.

Mikelle said...

How fun to have so many friends from home close by! I am so jealous of all your cool travel adventures!!

Ginnie said...

Happy Thanksgiving... it's no Thanksgiving at the church, but that's OK ;)

Rob and Jennifer said...

Boston is the best. You went a lot of the same places we did when we went. Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!

Krystal said...

Looks like another fun adventure! We missed you guys this year. It's so nice to be with family, but you know it's also nice to recall the good time, and good freinds we have.

paxtonfam said...

That's smart to travel all you can before kids tie you down. Nice pictures!

Patty and Alex said...

Seeing your pictures makes me want to go visit my brother and his wife who live outside of Boston. Maybe when I can travel more easily again- which won't be really soon. I can dare to dream and live my dreams via your blog!

Jenn said...

Great post, Em! Yes, I think I should hire you to be a tour guide for all of our visitors. I am SOOOOO glad you thought of all of us getting together and that it all worked out for Thanksgiving. We had a great time with you guys!

Unknown said...

What a fun way to spend Thanksgiving. That's good you have friends from Utah that live close by. I bet it makes you feel a little closer to home.