Monday, September 15, 2008

Hopewell Furnance

Hopewell Village is a great example of an early American iron plantation. There are several restored buildings including a blast furnance, the ironmaster's mansion, blacksmith shop, office/store, and tenant housing.
Hopewell Furnace was founded in 1771 and operated until 1883.
There's a rooster sitting under that wooden structure. I sent Dave over there to scare it out so I could take it's picture, but it got real mad at us and made the funniest noise I've ever heard!
This is the huge water wheel that powered the furnance
We watched a demonstration on iron casting--Dave says it's very similar to making gold crowns!




2 comments:

Lisa T. said...

Interesting. That big water wheel reminds me of the one we saw in Kirtland (I think) in the little restored town.

nora.lakehurst said...

NIce. I like that. Those pictues were like I was there. I love all the adventures you tell us. How fun! I am so glad that you get to do all the fun stuff. Anyways Im not complaining just in envy to get to see what you get to see now.