Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July

We had a great 4th of July weekend. We kicked off the celebration by getting up early Friday morning and driving out to Lancaster to the best Smörgåsbord around, The Shady Maple. And boy did we take advantage of the "all-you-can-eat". So much so that I literally made myself sick. Some people stopped after only one plate. WHAT? I pounded eggs benedict, an omelet, a plate sized sweet potato pancake with cinnamon chips, a small waffle, potato pancakes, half a doughnut, some orange and grapefruit wedges, two glasses of oj and a little cherry coke icee. Dave had roughly the same thing but he ate more than me. Mmmm, can't wait to go back! I forgot I had my camera with me until we were ready to leave, so half our group was already gone.

After breakfast, and our hour long drive through beautiful countryside, we went home and took a nap. Getting up early and gorging yourself make for excellent napping conditions.

Later in the afternoon, we went to a BBQ at our branch president's home. We weren't hungry at all, but who could resist grilled steak, fresh corn, salads, and home-made ice cream???

Dave showed us his incredible jumping ability by flying over the kiddie pool. I caught the picture half a second before the actual jump, but I kinda like this Karate Kid stance he's in.Then, the fireworks. This is more of a fire, rather than fireworks

Saturday we started out with a bike ride on the Perkiomen Trail. The weather was perfect, overcast and cool. Then, after showering and naps, we headed downtown. Finding parking downtown is always a problem and when the city has a "temporary no parking" sign on every single meter, and you throw into the mix two cheap people that refuse to pay an arm and leg to park, it's very difficult. But after some time searching, we finally found a lot that had a reasonable evening rate and was fairly close to Penn's Landing.

After arriving at Penn's Landing and being herded through the gate like cattle with the 50,000 other people there, we headed straight to The Super Scooper All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Festival (all-you-can-eat seems to have been the theme of our weekend).

You pay $5, they give you a spoon, and you eat ice cream like there's no tomorrow (all proceeds benefit the Joshua Kahan Fund to fight pediatric leukemia and the Children’s Hospital Oncology Division).
There were over 20 ice cream and water ice company's giving out their treats. Our favorites were Ben and Jerry's and Haagan Dazs.
We each ate 10 cups of ice cream plus Dave had a ice cream bar and I had a frozen lemonade. That was our dinner :)



Here we are at the Boyz II Men concert. We were close to the stage, but couldn't actually see it. They sounded good though, and we had good seats for the fireworks.

11 comments:

David and Amy said...

Wow-what an awesome day! I'm amazed at how much food you packed in. Great work at taking full advantage of the all-you-can-eat ice cream event! Looks like the fireworks were pretty sweet too!

nora.lakehurst said...

I am so envious. You guys! I want Icecream. It sounds so yummy. But I probley couldnt eat alot because you knwo trying to Oh what the heck if it was there i would pig out.

Jenn said...

What I would give to have your metabolism! Looks like a fun, yummy day :)

Patty and Alex said...

I won't tell Alex that we missed the ice cream event; he would be devestated and ask why I didn't know about it.

One day I may actually celebrate the Fourth of July in the city. When I lived there, it meant a lot of outsiders, traffic and noise disturbing me, so I would leave- I used to live within a very, very short walk to Penn's Landing. Now, I think that I would enjoy it more. Glad that you guys had fun!

Mal said...

All-you-can-eat, huh? That sounds like my kind of fourth of july weekend..! Way to do it right, guys.

Ashley H. said...

Shadey Maple was very good that day. It hit the spot. Ty and I did go to Penn's Landing on Sat. Ty didn't want free ice cream though
:( We were able to see Boys II Men from the side along with a close up veiw of the Delaware/Fireworks so I was satisfied. It was sooo crowded! But fun! Thanks for the idea! I'm glad you guys had so much fun!

Krystal said...

Wow it looks like you had a lot of fun! I love that picture of Dave jumping into the pool. He is alway so crazy and fun for the kids. Thats why Trey always loved him. YOu guys always seem to have the most fun! HOpe all is well. Miss you guys.

Chell said...

Too bad I was out of town on the 4th, you were practically across the street from me. (I live on the corner from the Stevenson's

Michelle said...

That sounds so fun! I am so jealous about the all you can eat ice cream! That is awesome! AND it's going for a good cause - you can't get any better than that!

Brock and Tyra said...

WOW, I wish I was there for all of that food! I think that if that were my day, it would have gone down as one of the greatest. I, too, was a Boyz II Men fan--Down on Bended Knee, baby!!

Lisa T. said...

You guys are awesome! You are always doing the coolest things. (I get lost in your blog for hours.) I'm proud of you for taking advantage of everything out there! Because before you know it you'll be back here in Utah. (We hope!)