Monday, October 20, 2008

Laerenswaert...

means "worth learning" and is an annual day of colonial craft demonstrations at the Peter Wentz farm. The Wentzes, as part of the great migration of Germans to Pennsylvania in the 18th century, built a large stone home in 1758. It became famous as George Washington’s headquarters during his attempt to keep the British out of Philadelphia in fall, 1777.
candle dipping
flax culture and spinning
apple cider pressing
wood working
beautiful fall day!

11 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

I love when you post Emily. Seriously if we ever get a chance to go out east you are coming with us to be our guide and to make sure we get to see all these fun things.
My friends have an apple press. I can't wait we do it every year. And we get home made yummy goodness and fresh apple cider.
YEEHAW! Can't wait to see you guys in two months.

Jenny said...

Hey Emily! I love reading your blog. It's like a history lesson every time. =) It's great to see you and Dave having so much fun! Do you guys ever work???

Kimberly said...

Wow, you guys do the coolest stuff I have ever seen! Looks like tons of fun!

The Perry family said...

Dave looks like quite the candle dipper! And is that a rake or a big fork?!! Looks like fun!

Chell said...

It was beautiful weather this weekend for that. Looks like you guys had fun!!

Shara said...

You and Dave find the funnest things to do in PA. Do you ever just stay home on the weekend? j/k-what fun is that? BTW-I have no idea why I was thinking those kids were handicapped (my bad). That was a fun hiking trip though.

The Skinners said...

Fun! I actually went there too, its a beautiful place.

Krystal said...

It looks like Dave is pretty good at making candles! What a good day to go have fun. There is just nothing like Fall. Especially in Philly.

Talene said...

Hey, it's Talene. I found your blog and thought I'd say hi! Sure looks like you two do fun things! I'll keep checking your blog to see how you are!

Lisa T. said...

A little hands-on experience - cool! By the way, congrats (if that's the right thing to say) on your new calling. You'll be awesome!

em said...

I love your outfits...way to get into the real colonial spirit!

Oh wait, that's not you guys?? Too bad. I'd pay to see Dave in knickers and stockings.