Saturday, August 1, 2009

24th of July

It's tradition to spend the 24th of July with my mom's family in Beaver. I've been going every year my whole life (other than when we lived in Philly) so I thought I better start Cole out right with his first 24th of July. The day starts out with cannons going off at 6 am. In the good old days, it would be dynamite, lit by my grandpa.
Next is the Grand Parade, starting promptly at 9:30 am. This thing lasts a good hour and a half, not bad for a small town.





After the parade everyone heads over to the city park for foot races and sno-cones


Then it's back to Grandma's house for a delicious lunch. She goes to so much work for this big day. She spends weeks decorating her house and yard and makes the best food!


Sassy little Jade
Jexton and Connor
Can you see the "B" in the background?
After lunch and a nice nap, Cole had a little photo shoot in the backyard :)



Our afternoon entertainment consisted of a walk to the peacock farm



At the end of the road by the peacock farm is an overpass. Since we were little we've been going up there and trying to get diesels to honk at us (small town fun). At first I couldn't believe these girls (they are in college mind you) wanted to go up there. I said I would stay back and take pictures...


but it didn't take long before I was up there jerking my arm in the air to get a honk. I'd forgotten how fun it is. Don't judge.




Beautiful rainbow we saw on our walk
When we got home, we ate dinner and then got ready to go watch the fireworks. Beaver does a fantastic fireworks display, but I didn't take any pictures. Good times. Good times.

7 comments:

David and Amy said...

Your little Cole is so handsome, he's so cute! I love that your Grandma makes the 24th of July so special, that's really neat. I love all the small town antics, I think it sounds like a ton of fun!

nora.lakehurst said...

Your Cole is handsome. And I love that grandparents make a BIG deal out of a fun holiday. You are so skinny for how much you eat ;) And Hello I always did that in Highschool to see how many people would honk. Way to get some cheap fun ;)

Krystal said...

Cole is just so cute! Did I see a few smiles in there? He looks like such a happy little guy. Looks like July 24th was a lot of fun for you guys. What a fun way to spend every year. I bet Cole will really start to look forward to it as he gets older. You look so happy just hanging out with the fam...and your sisters! You guys seem like me and my sisters. I'm glad you get to be by them and enjoy all the fun family has to offer. I didn't know your sister was prego. How fun for you both. I love having my babies so close to my sister. It's the best! Well you look so cute, and so happy with your sweet little family. Miss you guys. I wish we could of seen you. I will be up in Oct. so we will have to hang out then.

Unknown said...

Wish I could have been there. I didn't get to go last year either:( Cole looks so cute in in photos! Are you coming to Price w/ Jill?

The Perry family said...

That little Cole is one the cutest little babies ever!
What happened to the dynamite?
It looks like you guys have some great family traditions. I'm so glad you get to be so close to your family. You guys must be having a blast!! Tell Dave good luck and give baby Cole a big kiss and squeeze from all of us. We miss you guys!

Mikelle said...

i love beaver on the 24th--cole is so cute!

Stacia said...

Did you take photo classes? Little Cole is growing up to be a little man already... too cute.