Monday, August 25, 2008

Wissahickon

On Saturday afternoon we rode our bikes along Wissahickon Creek.

This is the only remaining covered bridge in the Wissahickon. Originally built in 1737, it provided a connection across the gorge between Chestnut Hill and Roxborough. Can you believe this place is within Philadelphia city limits?


Up on the hillside on the other side of the creek, there is a statue of a Lenape Indian Chief (carved in 1902). Legend has it he is watching his people leave in the late 1750's, headed west for someplace less crowded.
We've been to Wissahickon before, but on foot. Being on bikes we were able to explore so much more, like this old staircase...


...and this stone bridge.As you can tell from the last few pictures, it got dark on us. We'll have to go back soon and give ourselves a little more daylight to work with!



Why did we get such a late start on our bike ride? Well...in an inspiring moment while watching the Olympics, Dave (the former high school track star) wanted to see how fast he could run the 400. I was intrigued. And so were our friends. So Saturday morning we tested our strength and endurance at a local track. Mind you, we are completely out of shape and I don't even like running! Dave actually got a respectable time, and I'm just glad I did it without throwing up :) We tried the long jump too--look at that form! Ha! Anyway, after our little race, we came home and crashed for a few hours. Did I mention we are out of shape?

9 comments:

Lisa T. said...

What an awesome bike ride! I wish we had a cool destination like that around here. We've been biking with the kids a bit lately, but we never end up anywhere we haven't already been 100 times. I love that you guys hit the track. You know, watching the olympics gymnastices has planted the thought in my head, "I wonder if I have any tricks left in me?" Hopefully I do not follow through with this thought, or I'm sure you'll hear reports of me ending up in traction.

nora.lakehurst said...

YEah I agree with Lisa. WAY beauty eh. I am so jelous. I wish I could just go on bike rides. I havent ridden a bike since 1999 then my bike broke and got married shortly after that. Man I need a bike.
Well with that said (boring huh) its been a blessing to watch you guys grow and have so much fun in Philly. I cant wait to see you guys this Christmas. Are you guys coming for Christmas? I shouldnt just say "Hey see you then" Anyways great with the 400 I think I would run the 50 then faint. YEah good times. Well :D See ya in blog world soon.

The Skinners said...

What a cool place and you got some really great pictures. So should I count you in for the 2012 Olympics in London???

Krystal said...

Are you kidding me,out of shape. The last few post you've been having fun on your bike. That isnt out of shape to me. I love what you did with that 4th picture. The colors in it really made it so beautiful. My sister and I want to get into photography.I'm going to really order photoshop Ithink it will be fun to learn. I might need to call you and get some tips on how to use it or we can just get together in Dec. Well have fun at OBX this week!I wish we were with you guys! Can't wait to see all the pictures. Oh I also love the picture of Dave and you in the staircase. What a fun place to go see. Miss you guys.

David and Amy said...

What a beautiful area. I love the bridge and the old stairway. I love that you ran the 400 and did long-jumping! The pictures are awesome!

Chell said...

Wow you guys are quite the adventurers. Looks like you had fun. Love the track and field adventure..

Unknown said...

I can't believe you didn't qualify for Olympic long jumping with that form. The world missed its chance to admire a truly great athlete. Maybe for 2012?

So, um, next time you're THAT CLOSE to our place, will you please stop by?? I think there's a Risk board in our cabinet that might have your names on it. Or at least Dave's...

Also, would you do me a huge favor and sign me up for whatever site you get these ideas from? Because I never know where to go around here and you guys find the neatest places. And if you're just that creative and in-tune with local history, then I guess I'll just have to copy your adventures from the blog :)

Ashley H. said...

Wow, I am with Emily on you guys going to the neatest places here! Tyler refuses to ride a bike because he had to do it every day on his mission. He just told me after reading your blog he might start again. All because of your blog! Bye-the-way, That best.blog.ever site...I don't think I've laughed that much in a long time. I read one post and thought it was dumb, but then we kept reading them (and comments) and can't stop! Thanks for telling us about it! It has made my day! It is crazy hilarious!

carlee said...

wowzers! I so wish we would have done that trail, that is beautiful. So many things we missed in 4 years, seriously. glad you guys have so much fun together. and you are so brave to run a 400! I would die. or maybe I would just barf. funny!