Friday, August 15, 2008

Mural Tour

Dave and I have been wanting to take a "mural tour" for a while now, so when our friends, Bryce and Miranda, planned a bike tour, we were definitely in!




"Philadelphia is recognized as America's City of Murals. The Philadelphia Mural Arts Program (MAP) started in 1984 as a component of the Anti-Graffiti Network (PAGN), a city-wide initiative to eradicate destructive graffiti and address neighborhood blight. PAGN reached out to graffiti writers and redirected their energies to mural-making, helping these young men and women develop their artistic skills, and also empowering them to beautify their neighborhoods.
The Mural Arts Program has produced over 2,700 murals throughout Philadelphia--more murals than any other city in the world. MAP targets under-served youth throughout Philadelphia, both after-school and during the summer. Drawing on the styles of artists from different cultures, MAP's murals reflect Philadelphia's wonderfully diverse neighborhoods."


We started at the art museum and with Bryce as our guide, we navigated our way through the streets of Philadelphia.
We saw several small murals throughout China Town and were starting to wonder about this tour. But finally, we came to our first large scale mural.

This mural was probably our favorite because of it's 3-D-nessThis is one they just started.
We had to stop and get our picture with RockyWe also went in the lobby of the new Comcast building, which is now the tallest building in Philly. They have a HUGE screen tv that is literally mesmerizing. It's the largest LED screen in the world. Usually, I don't get too excited about technological wonders, but I have to say, this was cool. They make it look like it's part of the wall, but then all of a sudden, a video will come up that is so realistic, it looks like it's jumping out of the wall!

5 comments:

Krystal said...

How fun! I saw a few of the art work from are car when we were downtown, but how cool to go around and see them all. I never know they had such a thing. I'm glad you got your computer back. We've missed you and all the good times Dave and you have. So did your Aunts family stay with you? That would be fun, but really crazy. So I guess OBX in a few weeks? Man you are so luck. I can't think of a better trip, or better way to end the summer.

Em said...

That looks like such an awesome way to see the city! Thanks for sharing it, since I'll probably never manage to do it.

David and Amy said...

Those murals are amazing. How cool to go see them all on bike! I like the 3-D one best also!

nora.lakehurst said...

Hey so yeah LUCKY! I want to see all the things you see. I am so envious.

Angela said...

Every time I check your blog I find myself envious of all the fun things you do to really experience the east coast. Keep up the fun! I'll live it vicariously through you.